Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Journey ended too soon part 2

While in recovery I kept falling asleep, my poor hubby wanted to talk but I just couldn't stay awake long enough to reply.  I was in recovery for just a couple hours and then it was off to the Post partum unit.

My first night/day following delivery was a little of a blur because the anesthesia and pain meds made me super tired.  I kept falling asleep while pumping and when I had visitors.  Lucky for me the nurses and PCA's who took care of me are ones that I work with.  It was nice to know despite the fact that I was totally out of it I was properly cared for.  I did manage to make it to the NICU a couple of times that day first by wheel chair and then the second time I walked over.  It was nice to see little Max and Ella but sad at the same time since they had so many cables and tubes attached to them.  I'm pretty sure A spent the whole day in the NICU with his new babies.

I did lots of walking and going to see the babies.  The girls that I work with there in the postpartum unit were teasing me that I was ready to go back to work, and said I should go take vitals on the other patients.  Could you imagine that, me in my hospital gown taking the vital machine around and doing vitals on the other patients.  :).  Silly girls.  I don't think I got special treatment but I sure did get great treatment while I was there.  I also continued to pump for the babies although I wasn't getting much milk.  A's brother M was laughing that I only got a drop or two at a time but I was happy to be giving them what ever milk I could, knowing that it was the best thing for their little preemie bodies.  I'm now producing the "gallons" he said they needed. 

I stayed in the hospital for just over 48 hours after the c-section.  I couldn't wait to get home to my babies.  I had only seen them for about an hour during my 5 day stay at the hospital so I was ready to just hold them.  Even though I'm pretty sure the boys (13 and 11) would not have let me hold them. :)  I do now believe that I went home a day earlier then I should have.  Since the kids were with a family friend the entire time I was in the hospital they should have gone home with their dad for one night before I went home because they thought that everything would be right back to normal.  But I was tired and needed just to relax.  Athena had the hardest time she clung to my every move.  She didn't want me to pump she wanted me to hold her hand and hug her.  My poor little one. 

In the first week the babies made major progress, on Friday 7/9 I went to the hospital to spend their 1 week birthday with them and A.  When I walked in A was holding both of the babies, my heart was so happy at that moment.  Seeing him holding his children with a huge smile on his face was so rewarding.  Words can not express what an amazing feeling it is to have helped give such an amazing blessing to someone else. 

Now I say the journey ended too soon only because the twins were born so early, but I know that A and I will have a friendship that lasts a lifetime so the journey is just beginning......

Oh I forgot to give stats on the babies, oops.

Max was baby A the one being pushed out by his sister.  He weighed 3lbs 9oz and was 15 and 3/4 inches. 
Ella little Miss Diva as all the nurses call her weighed 4lbs 1oz and was 17 inches. 

I am one proud surromom!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment